I just spent another couple of hours figuring out how to effectively re-install my development instance (Ubuntu Server running in VirtualBox on my Windows host) and thought I’d write it down for personal reference and in case someone needs it :).
- Install VirtualBox (of course)
- Install Ubuntu Server
- Enable port forwarding from 127.0.0.1 to 10.0.2.15 on port 80
- Install guest additions
- sudo apt-get install dkms build-essentials
- mount guest additions
- sudo mount /dev/cdrom /media/cdrom
- cd media cdrom
- sudo ./VBoxLinuxAdditions.run
- You’re done ! You should now be able to access your linux guest by going to localhost on your host 🙂
Now you might want to set up folder sharing and map your local www folder to /var/www, but that is easy from here I guess :).
Note: do not forget to sudo adduser “youruser” vboxsf to enabled permissions on your shared folder!